This butter chicken is way more than a bit-part actor in this authentic Indian-style dish.
Preparation: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 lb (1 kg) chicken, diced
- 1 cauliflower
- For the marinade:
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Madras curry powder
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) garam masala
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) full-fat (14%) plain yogurt
- For the curry paste:
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Madras curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
- Dry spice mix:
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coriander seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) red pepper flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- For the final cooking sauce:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) whipping cream (35% fat)
- 1 generous sprig cilantro, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
Prepare to get all hot and bothered, but know that it’s for all the right reasons.
Stir together all the ingredients for the marinade, then marinate the chicken cubes in the fridge in a zip-lock bag for 4 to 24 hours. Patience is a virtue, my friend! It will be worth the wait.
Toss all the ingredients for the curry paste into a food processor, and pulse them to a paste. Set aside for later.
Sear the marinated chicken in a little melted butter, then take the pan off the heat. Set aside for later.
Use a mortar and pestle to crush the cumin, coriander and fennel seeds, then combine these in another bowl with the remainder of the dry spice mix ingredients. Set aside for later.
It’s time to make the final cooking sauce. Melt the butter in a pan and wait until it turns nut-brown before adding the onion and dry spice mix. Leave this to cook until the onion is golden brown.
Next, add the curry paste and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Now’s not the time to slack off, you’ve got work to do!
Add the cream and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and let everything simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve on cauliflower florets sautéed in butter with Impostor’s Naan Bread to soak up all that buttery sauce. Flip to the Baked Goodies section of this book and you’ll find the recipe there.
Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro.
And enjoy the delicious reward for all your hard work!
Get your copy of our manuscrit !
Recipes, stories, & more.